Monday, January 14, 2013

Random Thought Monday

*Have I mentioned how much I absolutely ADORE the Grand Canyon?  No?  You missed that one?  Well, words can't even describe how I feel about it.  If I could marry it, we would have been joined in holy matrimony years ago.  If I could live in it, I would have built a tiny little cabin and gone off the grid forever by now.  If I could eat it, I would have it for every meal for the rest of my life.  If I was an animal, I would fly/crawl/run/hop/slither my way there, hunker down, and never leave.  If I could breathe it in, I would wear a mask apparatus and enjoy having it fill my lungs every waking moment. 
Some may say I'm obsessed with it, but I don't think it's an obsession per se.  It's this connection to the planet, to God, to my primal ancestors that I can feel in my bones. I've never been anywhere else where I feel so whole and complete as I do when I'm in that big damn hole.
So yeah, I love the GC.  I miss it.  We haven't been since June of last year and I'm beginning to ache for it.  Long for it.  Yearn for it.  Dream about it.
I don't know the reasons, but when I'm there my soul is complete.  It's indescribable (and yet here I am trying to describe it).  I walk to the rim, look out over the expanse and immediately my blood pressure drops, my pulse slows down, and all stress and tension immediately leave my body.  When I hike down inside it's vastness, I feel it envelop me.  I feel so full when I'm there; spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically.  When we climb back out of it, I know a piece of my soul remains down in there, and the only way to get it back is to return and borrow it again for a short time.
I need to go back soon.  My soul is aching.

 
 
*I'm trying yoga today, in an actual class, for the first time ever.  I've been doing yoga for a few years on my own, in the privacy of my own home (or in the comfort of my classroom with my students), but I want to try a class.  With real people.  Much bendier people than me, probably.  I hope I don't pass gas.  I hope I don't make a fool out of myself.  But if I do either, meh.  No biggie.  It's not like I have to go back, right?
 
 
*Why do I pop out of bed at 7 am on the weekend, but when it's the weekday I can't seem to drag myself out of bed at 6:45?  It's not like that extra 15 minutes is a critical component of my sleep needs.  Ugh.. so frustrating.
 
*Why does it take my body an hour to warm up on a run?  I never start feeling good until I'm AT LEAST an hour in?  Maybe it's because my body knows I'm never going to be fast (why bother trying?) or maybe because it knows that if I go long I will burn more calories (hey lady- you need to work off that hummus you downed at lunch).  I don't know, but there is no such thing as short runs for me.  A 30 minute run is a waste of time.  By the time I get started I'm stopping and I still feel like crap.  I guess it's why I love the long runs on the weekend, and tend to want to skip the short ones during the week.  Maybe if I did more of the shorter runs I wouldn't hate them as much. 
Nah- that's not it.
 
*If I could bottle cuteness I would.  Sleepy kindergarteners coming to the library crack me up.  They're like little drunk people. 
 
 
That's all I have. 
Run on!
 





1 comment:

  1. I have never been to the GC but you speak of it as I do the Appalachian Trail.
    I hope you do a post about how the yoga class went. Would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete