Thursday, January 3, 2013

Visions for 2013

As the new year approaches, I always break out the calendar and start planning my race schedule for the upcoming year.  Some years I have a lot of little things planned, some years it's a few big things.  Last year at this time I was just hoping and praying that the stress fracture I was suffering would heal enough for me to be able to do ANY running in 2012.  It turned out to be a fantastic year afoot for me. 

My 2012 running highlights weren't many, but I'm proud of them:
  • April- OKC Memorial Marathon 1/2 (decided to run this only two weeks prior. I did it on incredibly little training- and I paid for it).
  • June- RT. 66 Olympic tri- did the run leg as part of a relay.  10K in 100 degrees.  It was lovely.
  • June- Grand Canyon.  Was supposed to be a Rim-to-Rim hike, but a pipe burst and washed out the trail and we had to change our plans. Instead did a S. Kaibab/Tonto/Bright Angel 14 mile loop.  I'm quite convinced my soul lies somewhere deep in the Canyon
                                                                                                         
  • June- Midnight Madness.  Was planning on a 50K, but had knee trouble so stopped at mile 27 (I know, I know...)
  • August- 2.5 mile open water swim challenge.  My first open water swim race.  I came in almost DFL.  Almost, but not quite.
  • September- Do Wacka Do 25K.  My first real trail race.  LOVED it.  Again, almost DFL, but not quite (I totally smoked that old dude at the end).
  • September- Rough Creek Trail 1/2.  The hardest thing I've ever done (that Rusty Crown almost did me in), but one of the most fun races ever!
  • October- Palo Duro 30K.  Again, was supposed to be a 50K, but stepped off the trail for a faster runner and fell hard, seriously bruising my hip.  Temps were above 100 when I stopped.  I was unprepared for the heat...and for running 20 miles on a bruised hip.
  • October- 24 The Hard Way.  My first 50 mile race!!! Woo hoo!!!  It was everything I dreamed of.  Including the painful feet and the smile that I couldn't wipe off my face for a week.
  • November- Ft. Worth Marathon.  2 weeks after the 50 miler I did the Ft. Worth to become a Marathon Maniac.  MM#6109.                                                                           
  • December: Turkey Mtn. 1/2.  Seriously fun and difficult trail race.  Loved it!!

I also put on 2 free half marathons for friends locally.  They were fun, non-competitive, and a total blast.  At the Ho Ho Half  in November we said goodbye to Hostess snack cakes, and at the Winter Solstice in December runners brought 300 canned goods to help our local food pantry.  I'm planning more free events in 2013.  The first will be on the 13th as a remembrance run for the victims of Sandy Hook (proceeds going to the United Way).

After planning and plotting, it looks like 2013 is shaping up to be a good year.  This will be the first year I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in 5 years and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Well, I'm really sad about it to be honest, BUT I promised my hubs we would spend a vacation elsewhere and go see something new instead.  You better bet that in 2014 you're going to find my little legs wandering around the Canyon again, tho.

So far this is what I have planned for 2013:
  • January- Sandy Hook Virtual 13.1 in rememberance
                   Tulsa river trails race- not sure if I'm going to do the 25K or the 50K
  • March- Post Oak Challenge.  50K trail Saturday and marathon on Sunday
  • April- OKC Memorial Marathon.  Thinking of doing the full.
  • June- RT. 66 Olympic tri
  • June- Yellowstone hiking and running galore
              Angel Fire Endurance Run 50K
  • October- 24 The Hard Way.  Not sure what I'll do this year.  I'd like to best my distance in the 24 hour race.  Possibly 100K.
I know other things will pop up along the way here and there.  I don't bother doing races that are under a half marathon, because I just can't justify the expense of running for only 3.1 or 10.2 miles. I'm not a distance snob, I just don't have as much money to race as I'd like.  I'm excited about the upcoming year and look forward to challenging myself to go farther than I've gone in the past.  Can't wait to see what's in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment